Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Story of Us

Photo by Cliff Jette for Hoopla, weekly entertainment magazine


This was the beginning of our beautiful friendship. A photoshoot in August of 2010 for Hoopla about crafting featuring our lovely Lindsey called for the best hair and makeup artist in town...yours truly! ;) We opted for the picture-perfect feel of a 1950's housewife with help from "The Shop Next Door". I talked Lindsey into trimming her bangs just a leettle bit...little did she know she'd be rocking Bettie Page bangs a few months later in my portfolio.   We soon decided to trade custom clothes for hair sessions and we were both happy campers. I think it was after I kidnapped her to go fabric shopping to the point of light-headedness (which led to an impromptu sushi date) that we discovered our kindred souls, with a mutual love for shoes, mani/pedis and all things girly. 

Lindsey quickly became my personal stylist. First, she influenced my shoe collection ("Do you have any higher heels?"), and my wardrobe (after you've had a dress custom-made for you, you'll soon abandon the ones you bought off the sale rack in the juniors' department). She's my go-to girl when I'm packing for a trip or can't decide what to wear on a date/interview/concert. I'm constantly picture-texting her outfits for approval. I can hardly go shopping without her! She's prevented me from so many regretful ill-fitting purchases..."Can this be altered?" "Yes, but it's still not meant to look like that..." 

It was only a matter of time before I got my hands in Lindsey's virgin hair...a little purple and blue there, some sweet bangs...later, a little hot pink and purple...okay, more purple! And feathers! Then, let's decolorize the whole thing and go RED!! Oh, we have too much fun together. We reworked her makeup routine with help from Patrick at Vanity & Glamour in Des Moines. We introduced her to concealer and powder foundation to get that flawless porcelain look we both love, blush for a hint of color and definition and we found the perfect bright pink lipstick to top it all off! (Pink lipstick is all over the beauty magazines right now. For the record, we did it first. ;)


Photos by Liz Martin for Kelsey's Portfolio in December 2010...rocking the Bettie bangs! 


Follow our blog with Bloglovin!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome story with lots of advice woven in! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are kind of my heroes :)


    www.atypicaljourney.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete